Thursday, March 29, 2012

Toothpaste!

Now presenting.... really good toothpaste!  For real!

The previous toothpaste recipe is okay, but I grew tired of cassia flavored toothpaste pretty quickly.  I have played with ideas to get some wintergreen oil to make a minty mix.  This has not happened because to do so involves mail ordering... I am not a big fan of this!

Instead here is what I did:

I ground down about 1 tablespoon dries spearmint and about 1.5 teaspoons of xylitol (with a mortar and pestle) until a fine powder was achieved.  In a ramekin with a lid I put a bit of water (try not to use more than 2 tablespoons), the mint powder and some diatomaceous earth.  Add the DE gradually as you stir the mixture.  I have no idea how much I used, this stuff really shrinks when it gets wet.  It may have been more than 1/2 of a cup.  When a nice paste consistency had been achieved  I added about 1 teaspoon of Rumple Minze (a 100 proof peppermint schnapps).  I did this mainly for two reasons.  1: The cassia toothpaste began to have a moldy taste after a few days.  This could be because DE smells like dirt and dirt smells like mold, or perhaps it started to turn.  2:  The schnapps gives the minty flavor a bit more punch!

The whole family taste tested the new batch and we are all quite pleased.  Be sure to rinse your mouth VERY well after, the mint powder turns into a lovely green display all over your teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment