Monday, March 12, 2012

New products/hair situations part II

Okay.  Diatomaceous earth is officially a terrible shampoo.  We will not be using this again for long hair.  It might be just fine for rather short hair (for boys!), my son has had no trouble so far with the DE.  This morning was absolutely tragic for both of my daughters, who have very long, straight hair.  I'm talking about tears and brushing that lasted beyond the bus leaving for school.  It was bad.

When the girls come home from school we will be washing all residue left by the DE away.  I have made a new shampoo:

In an old squeezy honey bottle:

1/2 full with water
1/2 full with liquid castile soap
a bit of grapeseed oil- I probably added about 1 tablespoon (we have dry hair)

shake and wash

This is not exactly a homemade shampoo because it is using pre-made castile (I used Dr.Bronner's Lavender).  I have sent my husband off in search of lye to make castile soap.  It seems easy, if it is I will post results.  If it is not I will post an advisory warning!

Also this morning I am trying a new frizz reducer/curl enhancer.  I have very big hair, with the right treatment I have nice curls.  The combination of the borax shampoo and vinegar conditioner is way too drying and as a result I have had rather big hair for the last week (no, I have not washed my hair again, it is still too dry).  I just tried using some aloe vera juice... So far I seemed to be pleased.  All I did was break a piece off of the plant and squeezed the juice into my hand, then rubbed it through my hair.  Be careful to not get any of the aloe pulp in your hair, this will leave boogery looking chunks behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment